CharlotteGun Charge Attorney
Gun Charge Attorney North Carolina and South Carolina
GUN CHARGER DEFENSE
Snow Legal’s Mecklenburg criminal defense law firm has licensed federal criminal defense attorneys waiting to help you. We have represented hundreds of clients throughout the state of North Carolina. Federal charges differ from criminal charges at the state level, and as a result, federal court is much different to state court. Successfully defending a client facing a federal charge requires an experienced criminal defense attorney with in-depth knowledge of the federal justice system.
What Are Gun Charges in North Carolina?
The North Carolina Felony Firearms Act states that it is illegal for any convicted felons to possess a firearm. A felony is classed as any crime that can be punishable by more than 12 months incarceration — even if you didn’t receive that sentence. Recent amendments have further tightened the restrictions against the gun rights of people with criminal backgrounds. Even simply carrying a shotgun in your car for hunting could get you in legal trouble if you have previously been convicted of a felony.
The ban on possession of a firearm applies regardless of how long ago your felony conviction occurred. If you have a felony conviction, you cannot possess a firearm, anywhere, at any time — even in your own home or lawful place of business.
There are also several other gun charges in North Carolina that you can face, which include, but are not limited to:
- Concealed weapons with no permit. You must obtain a concealed weapons permit to carry a concealed weapon outside of your home in North Carolina. A concealed weapon can include guns and other similar deadly weapons, such as daggers.
- Purchase or possession of a firearm with a domestic violence order. If you’re subject to a domestic violence order, you are prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm, or it’s ammunition while the order is in effect.
- Possession of a weapon on school property. It is illegal to carry a gun or other firearms on school property. This includes elementary school through to college. Violation of this law is a Class I felony.
- Possession of a weapon where alcohol is sold. It is illegal to take a firearm into an establishment where alcohol is being sold or consumed.
What Are The Penalties For Possession Of A Firearm In North Carolina?
Gun convictions are heavily prosecuted in North Carolina, and the penalties you face can be severe. A conviction also leaves you with a permanent criminal background, making it challenging to pass employment background checks, among other things.
The penalties for a gun offense depend on whether the crime committed was a felony or a misdemeanor:
- Class 1 misdemeanor: a minimum of 1 day to 120 days jail time
- Class 1 misdemeanor: a minimum of 1 day to 120 days jail time
- Class 2 misdemeanor: a minimum of 1 day to 60 days jail time
If you are convicted of a felony gun offense, the sentencing process is more complicated and considers both the seriousness of the offense and the defendant’s criminal record. If there are any aggravating factors, the sentence you face is typically much more severe.
If you are convicted of a felony gun crime, you could face:
- Class D felony: a minimum of 51 months to a maximum of 128 months jail time
- Class E felony: a minimum of 20 months to a maximum of 50 months of jail time
- Class F felony: a minimum of 13 months to a maximum of 33 months of jail time
- Class G felony: a minimum of 10 months to a maximum of 25 months of jail time
- Class H felony: a minimum of 5 months to a maximum of 20 months of jail time
- Class I felony: a minimum of 4 to a maximum of 10 months jail time
In a North Carolina gun charge case, you need an experienced trial lawyer working on your behalf. A knowledgeable criminal defense attorney could make all of the difference in achieving a favorable outcome for your case. Being convicted of a firearms offense in North Carolina can have untold consequences on your life. If you’re facing a gun charge, call our office now to speak to an experienced Charlotte criminal defense attorney. Snow Legal’s dedicated North Carolina criminal defense attorneys can help you protect your legal rights and freedom.
Why Is It Important To Hire A Charlotte Gun Charge Lawyer?
If you’ve been arrested in North Carolina, it is crucial that you hire an experienced North Carolina criminal defense attorney. A diligent and compassionate attorney can guide you through the complicated legal system, and ensure your legal rights are protected. When handling severe criminal charges – experience is everything. Do not take a risk with an inexperienced trial lawyer when your freedom is at stake.
Why Choose The Charlotte Gun Charge Lawyers at Snow Legal?
To secure a strong defense, it is crucial that you have a skilled and tenacious Charlotte criminal defense lawyer on your side. We have worked tirelessly on behalf of hundreds of clients to have their gun charges dismissed or minimized. Our attorneys utilize their experience, skills, and aggressive courtroom defense tactics, to secure you the best possible outcome in your case.
- Armed Robbery
- Bank Fraud
- Car Accidents
- Child Abuse
- Childcare Neglect/Death
- COVID-19 Personal Injury Laywer
- Drug Charges and Trafficking
- Economic Injury Disaster Loan Fraud
- Federal Crimes
- Felony Death by Vehicle
- Gun Charges
- Human Trafficking
- Murder and Homicide
- Paycheck Protection Program Loan Fraud
- Rape and Sex Offenses
- Tractor Trailer Accidents
- White Collar Crimes
- Workers Compensation
“We greatly appreciate your honesty with my nephew’s case. You and your wonderful staff helped ease a very stressful time for my mother; it was hard enough for her to raise her own children,then do it again with her grandchildren. During this process, your staff was sympathetic and praised my mother for her efforts. My nephew is now in college doing well!”
“As my attorney, Kenneth Snow was very proactive in protecting my rights and in providing quick and reliable feedback and answers to questions. Additionally Attorney Snow displayed excellent negotiation skills in settling my case. I highly recommend him to others based on my experience as a client.”
“The Snow Legal Group was prompt and professional in all matters related to my case. Everyone I spoke with at SLG was polite and knowledgeable. Kenneth Snow provided answers to my questions throughout the process and made sure I understood the direction of the case. I was pleased with the final results. Many thanks.”
Connect With Us 24/7(704) 358-0026
GET HELP NOW
Complimentary and Confidential Case Evaluation